Any company that has a truck that are among the more than 5mn that regularly cross the US-Canada border annually, like Titan Transline, paid close attention to the newly-announced Canadian ELD mandate.
The Canadian ELD mandate will take effect in June 2021, with the phase-in period to end by June 12, meaning that any fleets that are or planning to operate in Canada have to have a compliant electronic logging device (ELD) on their trucks by that time.
This new mandate is similar to the one the US Dept. of Transportation implemented in December 2019, but with notable differences.
Difference in certification
One of the key differences between the US and Canadian ELD mandates is that, in the US, ELD manufacturers can self-certify their own devices. In contrast, Canada requires that credible third-party organizations certify any ELDs in trucks.
This means that ELDs that are certified in the US might not be valid or compliant in Canada, depending on whether or not their manufacturers can get proper certification from a third party.
The US and Canada have differences in rules regarding malfunction and diagnostic events (M&Ds), personal vehicle use, and EROD transfers. Some of these differences are small, some are big, but, regardless, an operator working in both countries needs to be trained in both.
Another key difference between the US’s and Canada’s ELD mandates is that Canadian drivers don’t transfer their logs electronically to a set-up federal system, unlike the US, where drivers transfer their trucking logs to eRODs. Canadian drivers, instead, have to email their logs via a transfer file to officers.
Canadian ELDs have to meet the Technical Standard for Electronic Logging Devices, which is the country’s standard for any ELD, as set by the Canadian Council of Motor Transportation Administrators (CCMTA).
While there are notable differences, the key idea is still about truckers finding an ELD that is compliant with all the regulations and can handle everything they need. Both mandates have similar requirements, like engine synchronization, GPS tracking, on-screen displays, and the like.
Having one device that’s compliant with both the US and Canada ELD mandates will help streamline operations for truckers and trucking companies, and avoid any issues when crossing borders.
If you regularly need to transfer cargoes and goods, it would be cost-efficient to find a trucking company such as Titan Transline that will cater to all your forwarding needs. However, with the number of trucking or freight companies in Canada and US, you might find it challenging to pick the right service provider that will be beneficial for your goods and your pocket. Here are some tips to choose the right trucking company.
- Customized services. Even if you need to send cargoes regularly, at some point you will have a variation of need. Perhaps you would need a temperature controlled truck, a smaller container, etc. No matter what your freight needs are, the trucking company should be able to provide those needs, so long as they are reasonable and within their line of services. Trucking companies such as Titan Transline go the extra mile just to please their customers. Take advantage of this.
- Affordable services. While it can be true that trucking services can be pricey, there are ways to lower your expenses. One way is to look for a regular service provider so you can eventually ask for discounts from their friendly agents. You might also want to ask if they currently have a promo that will help reduce the costs. There are several ways. The point is, do not be ashamed to ask or make some research to find out where you can get more value for your money.
- Online platform. Search for a trucking company that allows their customers to have hassle-free experience when doing business with them. Find out if the company has an online quote form and if they have made their hotline number available for their online visitors. The website should also be seamless, easy to navigate with straight-forward offers for their services.
- Secure delivery. Choose a trucking company, such as Titan Transline that gives you that peace of mind like you can sleep at night knowing that your cargoes would get to your recipient in a timely and secure manner. Read customer feedback for more ideas.
The success of your business transaction has something to do with how you transact with the freight company. For instance, the cost of freight that would be collected from you will depend on the information you provide when you send a quote form. To make a correct transaction that is faster and accurate, take a look at these tips.
- Instead of sending a request for a proposal from the freight company, indicate your needs and inform the company. They will the use the information as their basis in creating a customized cost estimate for you. Indicate your expected lead time, the type of freight size that you need, the address where the goods are to be delivered, the volume of goods, frequency, and the type of goods to be delivered and your preferred payment terms.
- If you will need regular or frequent shipping of goods because of the nature of your business, it would be practical to hire a single company, such as Titan Transline for all your shipping and transport of goods needs. This will keep you from transacting with several companies which can consume your time and energy.
- Take a closer look at the options and coverage being offered by the company. If they can offer customization to meet your specific trucking needs, it would be better. Conduct a good research to find out where you can save and get the best value for your money.
- Find out about the container transport company’s background, such as their reliability, operational advantages, contingency plans in case of calamities or road accidents, handling of customer complaints and if they can deliver rush orders.
- Aside from filing a quote form, call the container transport company to talk about your service requirements.
- Read carefully and thoroughly, including the fine prints when you receive the service contract. If you have questions, call the service provider for clarifications.
- Find out if the company, such as the Titan Transline allows you to transact online through their online system or if you can place your payment and check the transport status online.
The cost of the goods that will be delivered by FTL Dedicated Truckload Freight company will be affected by the accuracy of information you provide when you fill out the quote form. For instance, if you miss out to indicate that you are going to transport perishable goods, the trucking company would need to replace their truck in order to accommodate the perishable products. Changing trucks would require additional time, not to mention, an inconvenience on their part so the company would have to collect additional charge on you. This is why it is important to place accurate information on the quote form. To fill out the form accurately, take a look at these tips:
- Find out the exact weight and volume of the commodities that needs to be transported. The details will affect the size of the truck or container to be used for the transportation or delivery. This is one of the first few information that will be required by FTL Dedicated Truckload Freight company from you. This is also how the company will charge their service rates from you.
- Indicate if the goods will be delivered or if it will be picked up by a third party. You also have to provide the address where the goods will be delivered or picked up. This will help the transport company to determine the distance requirement for the delivery and collect fair charges for the service.
- Notify the company on the type of goods or commodities to be delivered. If you need air conditioned trucks, you would have to indicate this on the quote request. The same goes for fragile or valuable items to be delivered. This way, the trucking company would provide more caution in handling your goods. Some goods are considered contraband and the logistics company has the prerogative to decline the transport of items that are considered illegal.
- Indicate the type of goods requires transportation such as crates, containers, pallets, huge boxes and others.
- Inform the FTL Dedicated Truckload Freight company if you need special requirements for the delivery or pick up of your commodities such as huge or small trucks, low noise vehicle and other considerations.